A soft grip is the most important part of your bmx bike. It can help you ride more comfortably, absorb some of the bumps in the road, and prevent injuries. To have a soft grip, it’s best to get custom grips made by an experienced bmx shop.
This will ensure that the grips are built with custom details for your bike. If you don’t want to pay extra, there is some an alternative option of grip tape whether it’s knurl or dimples.
The problem is though they’ll wear out after time and overstretch so their effectiveness goes down every week which since it happens on average once a day means that after 6 months you’re holding onto places where there wouldn’t be any grip. Here how do make my Bmx grips softer.
Some Things You Can Do To Help Soften Your Grips
- Washing your grips every 2 weeks with warm water and soap is good for absorbing the sweat, grime, oils like dirt & oil that accumulates on them after riding.
- Storing it inside a zip top bag (no matter how clean you think it looks) will help extend their life
- Keeping rid of dirt by taking extra precautions when washing your bike
- Wrapping the base of the handles in some wax ed cloth or anything that will absorb moisture and keeping it at a low temperature to not dry out the grips
- Shaving a little paint off the handle bar ends in small amount is good for absorbing any excess sweat from hands
- Never go on rides that have been raining or washed out as it can cause blisters and even cuts which will drips down onto your grips & fingers .
- Soaking your hands in warm soapy water after riding will cause the oil and sweat on them to absorb into the grips making them soft
- Tighten all of everything as tight as it’ll go so they tighten up by themselves as you ride, then back off just a hair or two so they don’t start twisting & cracking
- Wipe the grip with a clean, lint free rag so you are giving it some consistent pressure while riding.
- Get a good bottle of lube that will increase the softness and extend your grip’s life by soaking rags in it, squirting it onto the areas you want to slick during rides where there is less perspiration coming from .
Way To Change Your BMX Grips
- Soaking rags & swabs in the lube and place those on your grips then wipe off excess with a clean rag
- Wipe the dirt away from both sides of each handle bar stem, holder open or closed even if it’s not there right now so you won’t pick up trash as it slides under them during riding if there is some dirt now they will suck it in and make the grip sticky
- Slide on a new pair of grips (worn before or little stiff).Then wipe away any excess with another clean rag (esp. if your bike is for sale & someone else has already put their dirty/brown wears handlings on them. Go back & wipe them off)
- Get another rag with lube soaked in & soak both sides of your grips making sure to get excess any place .You want the grip stickiness to last for longer. Then let it dry completely before attaching back on once dried put new screws through the holes so they snap into place easier.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4 above if after first time trying out a set of grips they don’t feel tight enough
(You can also order better grips like they make for bikes)
When buying the last set of these grip it’s a good idea to get another pair or 2 with longer bolts in case one rips & you’re on your own before rides come around, unless soldering down parts won’t be possible when need it . If your bike is stolen or if you have it & want to sell having one of these parts can keep people from stealing it back without that much work putting theirs together.
As well as theft, many riders who are older may not be able to go over bumpy terrain because their grip will snap making them fall or lose balance plus make themselves wear out quicker which could lead up needing a new set before real rides.
How Long Do You Boil BMX Grips?
Boiling heat softens grip, it’s well known that boiled grips are softer than non-boiled ones. Here is how you boil the BMX Grip, Take your bottle of The inside Edge Bottle Bike Lube (and change/fill with water if necessary), Sit on a chair in front of the sink and use the bathroom scale to measure out 1 cup (250cc).
You want enough weight for 15 min or more. Then fill a pot of water and turn it on, Keep a watchful eye to make sure the water can’t boil over while you are getting stuff ready. I use a tall stove while brewing up some lube, A regular non-microwaveable pot will work for this recipe but be more careful.
How Do You Loosen Bike Grips?
Take the bottle behind your back and pour half of it on your fingers. Then put them under warm running water for several minutes to soften up. Let them dry completely or you will end with some bad blisters. It also works by getting the grease off hands (soaking hands in hot soapy water). Grease is very stubborn substance no matter how soft it gets, I learned this trick myself.
How Do You Wipe Grips?
Get a paper towel and soak it in the inside Edge Bottle Bike Lube. To wipe down the grip, start at one end and work your way across to the other, then back up like you were cleaning a wall with wallpaper paste (don’t take too much time wiping because if it’s soaking wet you will soften instead of harden). Avoid scratching areas such as bends or screw heads & etc. by using slow drying lubed cloths.
How Do You Clean Back Wheels?
Grab a paper towel and soak it in the inside Edge Bottle Bike Lube, Use slow drying method to wiping your rim with the paper towel. This removes soap scum that sticks when rims are tight, Also helps when it’s raining or “wet”. General cleaning also involves letting the grips dry for several minutes between wipes to remove excess water from wet surfaces.
How Do You Clean Bike Pedals?
Since dirt and grime build up during long hours of off road riding, it’s advisable to use the inside Edge Bottle Bike Lube on all your bike parts. This helps keep away rust and corrosion. I use the lube only every second ride, as the first time around there is already enough lubrication in those places due to flow from previous rides, but after that I wipe them with a clean rag and clean water.
What Are The Most Comfortable BMX Grips?
Time for the inside Edge Bottle Bike Lube to come out in action. There are many ways of using it in BMX, but my favorite is two squeeze bottle method. This has always been considered a stable way when performing since one can work without worrying about the grip slipping or sliding along the floor. Use lower heats to avoid melting your pedal’s rubber mix before assembling them together.
If you are new to BMX biking, it is important that you have the right bike gear. Having a hard bike gear can be frustrating, especially if you are on a budget. To make your bmx grips softer, use rubber gloves or apply some lubricant on the surface of the grip tape. This will help you to know how do make my Bmx grips softer become more comfortable and reduce fatigue.