A soft grip is the most important part of your BMX bike. It can help you ride more comfortably, absorb some of the bumps in the road, and prevent injuries. To have a soft grip, it’s best to get custom grips made by an experienced BMX shop.
This will ensure that the grips are built with custom details for your bike. If you don’t want to pay extra, there is an alternative option of grip tape whether it’s knurl or dimples.
The problem is though they’ll wear out after time and overstretch so their effectiveness goes down every week which since it happens on average once a day means that after 6 months you’re holding onto places where there wouldn’t be any grip. Here how do make my Bmx grips softer?
Some Things To Make Your Bmx Grips Softer
If you’re an avid BMX rider, you know how important it is to have comfortable grips. Not only do they provide a better grip on your bike, but they also help prevent hand fatigue and blisters. Fortunately, there are several things you can do to make your BMX grips softer and more comfortable. One option is to add grip tape or silicone sleeves over the top of your existing grips. Here are some tips:
- Washing your grips every 2 weeks with warm water and soap is good for absorbing the sweat, grime, and oils like dirt & oil that accumulate on them after riding.
- Storing it inside a zip-top bag (no matter how clean you think it looks) will help extend their life
- Keeping rid of dirt by taking extra precautions when washing your bike
- Wrapping the base of the handles in some waxed cloth or anything that will absorb moisture and keep it at a low temperature to not dry out the grips
- Shaving a little paint off the handlebar ends in small amounts is good for absorbing any excess sweat from hands
- Never go on rides that have been raining or washed out as it can cause blisters and even cuts that will drip down onto your grips & fingers.
- Soaking your hands in warm soapy water after riding will cause the oil and sweat on them to absorb into the grips making them soft
- Tighten all of everything as tight as it’ll go so they tighten up by themselves as you ride, then back off just a hair or two so they don’t start twisting & cracking
- Wipe the grip with a clean, lint-free rag so you are giving it some consistent pressure while riding.
Way To Change Your BMX Grips
Changing your BMX grips can be a simple and straightforward process. Changing your BMX grips is a simple process that can make a big difference in the comfort and control of your ride. By following these simple steps, you can easily change out your BMX grips and improve your overall riding experience. Here’s how to do it:
- Soaking rags & swabs in the lube and place those on your grips then wipe off excess with a clean rag
- Wipe the dirt away from both sides of each handlebar stem, and holder open or closed even if it’s not there right now so you won’t pick up trash as it slides under them during riding if there is some dirt now they will suck it in and make the grip sticky
- Slide on a new pair of grips (worn before or a little stiff). Then wipe away any excess with another clean rag (esp. if your bike is for sale & someone else has already put their dirty/brown wears handlings on them. Go back & wipe them off)
- Get another rag with lube soaked in & soak both sides of your grips making sure to get excess any place.You want the grip stickiness to last for longer. Then let it dry completely before attaching back on once dried put new screws through the holes so they snap into place easier.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4 above if after the first time trying out a set of grips, they don’t feel tight enough
Order better grips as they make for bikes
When buying the last set of this grip it’s a good idea to get another pair or 2 with longer bolts in case one rip & you’re on your own before rides come around, unless soldering down parts won’t be possible when needing it. If your bike is stolen or if you have it & want to sell having one of these parts can keep people from stealing it back without that much work putting theirs together.
As well as theft, many riders who are older may not be able to go over bumpy terrain because their grip will snap making them fall or lose balance plus making themselves wear out quicker which could lead to needing a new set before real rides.
If you’re having trouble making your BMX grips softer, you can try a few things. If none of these work, it may be time for a new bike! Make sure your grips properly lubricate. Apply a light layer of oil to the inside of your grip’s handle every few rides. If your grip balm or cream isn’t providing the desired results, try using a grip-specific grip balm or cream. Remember to apply it after your bike has been properly lubricated.
Types of BMX Grips
If you’re looking to make your BMX grips softer, you’ll want to know about the different types of BMX grips. Hard-shell grips are the most durable and provide good stability. Dual-density grip pads offer greater cushioning and reduce fatigue over time.
There are three types of BMX grips – textured, soft-grip, and hybrid. Each of these has its benefits, so choosing the right one for your riding style and needs is important.
Thinner straps are another great option for those who suffer from hand fatigue, and they reduce hand movement by up to 50%. So, whatever grip style you choose, make sure to add the perfect amount of cushioning for the ride of your life.
How Long Do You Boil BMX Grips?
Boiling BMX grips is a popular technique used by many riders to make them easier to install. The process involves boiling the grips in water for a short period of time. Which softens the rubber and makes it more pliable.
However, it is important to note that you should not boil the grips for too long. As this can cause them to become damaged or deformed. Generally, it is recommended to boil BMX grips for no more than two minutes.
Boiling heat softens grip, it’s well known that boiled grips are softer than non-boiled ones. Here is how you boil the BMX Grip, Take your bottle of The Inside Edge Bottle Bike Lube (and change/fill it with water if necessary). Sit on a chair in front of the sink, and use the bathroom scale to measure out 1 cup (250cc).
You want enough weight for 15 min or more. Then fill a pot of water and turn it on, Keep a watchful eye to make sure the water can’t boil over while you are getting stuff ready. We use a tall stove while brewing up some lube. A regular non-microwaveable pot will work for this recipe but be more careful.
The importance of comfortable grips for BMX riders
As any BMX rider knows, having a comfortable grip is crucial for maintaining control and executing tricks. Not only do comfortable grips reduce hand fatigue and prevent blisters, but they also provide better traction and grip on the handlebars.
This can be especially important in wet or slippery conditions. When selecting grips, it is important to consider factors such as material, thickness, and texture. Some riders prefer thicker grips for added cushioning, while others opt for thinner grips for greater sensitivity and feel.
Ultimately, the right grip will depend on personal preference and riding style, but it’s worth investing in a pair of comfortable grips to enhance your riding experience.
How to maintain the softness of your BMX grips over time
Maintaining the softness of your BMX grips over time can be a challenge, but with some simple tips, you can keep them feeling like new. One of the easiest ways to maintain the softness of your grips is to clean them regularly. Maintaining the softness of your BMX grips over time is essential for a comfortable and safe ride. Here are some tips to help you keep your grips feeling soft and new:
– Clean them regularly. Dirt, sweat, and oils from your hands can build up on your grips over time, making them feel hard and uncomfortable. To prevent this, wipe down your grips with a damp cloth after each ride.
– Avoid excessive exposure to sunlight. UV rays can cause the rubber to dry out and become brittle over time. When storing your bike, keep it in a cool, shaded area.
– Use grip-enhancing products. There are several products available that can help restore the softness of your grips. Grip enhancers like grip glue or spray can help maintain the tackiness of the rubber and extend its lifespan.
By following these simple steps, you can help ensure that your BMX grips stay soft and comfortable for many rides to come.
Having soft BMX grips can make a big difference in your riding experience, providing better grip and reducing hand fatigue. There are several ways to make your BMX grips softer, including using grip glue or hairspray, soaking them in hot water, or simply breaking them in over time.
Experiment with different methods to find the one that works best for your specific type of grips. By taking the time to soften your BMX grips properly, you can enjoy a more comfortable and enjoyable ride.
If you are new to BMX biking, it is important that you have the right bike gear. Having a hard bike gear can be frustrating, especially if you are on a budget. To make your BMX grips softer, use rubber gloves or apply some lubricant on the surface of the grip tape. This will help you to know how do make my Bmx grips softer become more comfortable and reduce fatigue.
1. How Do You Loosen Bike Grips?
Take the bottle behind your back and pour half of it on your fingers. Then put them under warm running water for several minutes to soften up. Let them dry completely or you will end with some bad blisters. It also works by getting the grease off hands (soaking hands in hot soapy water). Grease is very stubborn substance no matter how soft it gets, I learned this trick myself.
2. How Do You Wipe Grips?
Get a paper towel and soak it in the inside Edge Bottle Bike Lube. To wipe down the grip, start at one end and work your way across to the other, then back up like you were cleaning a wall with wallpaper paste (don’t take too much time wiping because if it’s soaking wet you will soften instead of harden). Avoid scratching areas such as bends or screw heads & etc. by using slow drying lubed cloths.
3. How Do You Clean Back Wheels?
Grab a paper towel and soak it in the inside Edge Bottle Bike Lube, Use slow drying method to wiping your rim with the paper towel. This removes soap scum that sticks when rims are tight, Also helps when it’s raining or “wet”. General cleaning also involves letting the grips dry for several minutes between wipes to remove excess water from wet surfaces.
4. How Do You Clean Bike Pedals?
Since dirt and grime build up during long hours of off road riding, it’s advisable to use the inside Edge Bottle Bike Lube on all your bike parts. This helps keep away rust and corrosion. I use the lube only every second ride, as the first time around there is already enough lubrication in those places due to flow from previous rides, but after that I wipe them with a clean rag and clean water.
5. What Are The Most Comfortable BMX Grips?
Time for the inside Edge Bottle Bike Lube to come out in action. There are many ways of using it in BMX, but my favorite is two squeeze bottle method. This has always been considered a stable way when performing since one can work without worrying about the grip slipping or sliding along the floor. Use lower heats to avoid melting your pedal’s rubber mix before assembling them together.